Green beans. Oh how I hated them as a kid. They were one of two vegetables that I just detested. Green beans slathered in ketchup, however, were tolerable. And so yes, as awful as it sounds, that was my way of eating my green beans when growing up. So the irony of me even posting this recipe runs very deep and will probably result in a phone call from my mom with total disbelief. But… believe it or not, this Bacon & Brown Sugar Green Bean recipe is one so good that even green bean haters will enjoy!
Here’s a totally random fact for ya…
Did you know that green beans are actually a fruit, but we use them as a vegetable?
In 1883 Supreme Court justices actually had to distinguish between science and everyday life. They acknowledged that botanically speaking, tomatoes, cucumbers, squashes, beans, and peas are the “fruits of a vine”. However, in the common language of the people, all these are vegetables because they are grown in kitchen gardens and are “usually served at dinner in, with, or after the soup, fish, or meats which constitute the principal part of the meal”… not served as dessert, like fruit.
My ruling is if it looks like a veggie, tastes like a veggie, and is treated like a veggie… then it must be a veggie! Seriously, could you even imagine going to a wedding or a conference or heck, even Thanksgiving or Christmas and having a fruit tart covered in green beans for dessert? Gag!
At least now we going to throw some sweetness on this vine fruit and add lots of savory goodness to those beans with this amazing Bacon & Brown Sugar Green Bean recipe! And in only a few easy steps!
Here’s the trick to making this recipe super simple. Have multiple pans going. While you’re frying the bacon in one pan, melt the butter and brown sugar in another pan, and have the green beans in a pot on another burner. Multi-tasking is your friend here.
Bacon & Brown Sugar Green Beans
- 6-8 slices of pepper bacon or plain
- 1/4 cup butter 1/2 stick
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1-1 1/2 cups water
- 1 pound fresh green beans - rinsed and trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until slightly crispy. Drain on paper towels to remove excess grease.
- In a small pan or skillet, add the butter and brown sugar. Stirring occasionally, cook over medium heat until the butter has melted and the brown sugar has dissolved. Reduce heat to low.
- Place the trimmed green beans in a large pot. Add the water and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium and place lid on pot. Cook green beans for 8-10 minutes.
- Drain the water from the green beans and sprinkle with salt. Break the bacon up into small pieces and mix into the green beans.
- Pour the butter and brown sugar mixture over the beans and gently toss to coat.
- Serve warm and ENJOY!!
In the comments below, tell me… are you a green bean lover? What is your typical way to prepare them?