Adding a few more burger topping options can add a lot more fun and flavor to a plain old burger. Having guests build a burger allows those who like to keep it simple happy yet allows foodies to get creative!
Burger Bar ingredient ideas:
Burger. Yup, I really included this. Remember the old Wendy’s commercial that asked “Where’s the beef?” Well, now there are other meaty options to consider:
- Black Bean Burger
- Chicken Burger
- Ground Beef Burger
- Pork Burger
- Tofu Burger (check to see if there are any Vegans on your guest list)
- Turkey Burgers (check out The Best Turkey Burgers for a delicious and healthy option)
Buns. To eat a bun or leave the buns behind? That is the question. With the gourmet burgers you are offering, you may want to skip the carbs and go for more toppings. A good bun can often make or break a burger. Don’t just go for the buns in the bread aisle. Try heading to the deli for a delicious buffet of buns:
- Honey buns
- Onion buns
- Pretzel buns
- Slimwich buns
- Whole Wheat buns
Cheese. Get cheezy and have some fun! I’m not saying youda gotta serve Gouda, but having a variety of cheese is often nice.
- Blue Cheese
- Colby Jack
- Pepper Jack
Condiments. Don’t skimp out here. There’s more than just ketchup and mustard to bring to the table. Check out these crazy condiment ideas:
- BBQ Sauce
- Chipotle Mayo
- Steak Sauce
- Worchestershire Sauce
Veggies. Eating some veggies on your burger is a delicious and sneaky way to get another serving of vegetables in your diet!
- Lettuce Leaves
- Onions – sweet and/or red
- Peppers – red, green, or jalepeno
- Sauteed Mushrooms & Onions
Bacon. It’s a category on it’s own! Oh how I love bacon! Microwave a platter of bacon or cook it in the oven (so you don’t have to worry about cleaning up bacon splatter), break it in half, and serve. It’s okay if it’s not piping hot. It’ll be added to a hot sandwich and with the cold condiments, no one will even notice.
If you want to provide a sample “menu”, here are some burger ideas to give your guests:
- The Texan – Cheddar cheese, BBQ sauce, and Bacon
- Southwestern Burger – Provolone cheese, Guacamole, Tomato, and Bacon
- The Spicy Southwesterner – Pepper Jack cheese, Chipotle Mayo, Jalepeno slices, Lettuce, Red Onion, and Bacon
- Red, White & Blue Burger – Blue cheese, Steak sauce, Red Onion, and Bacon
- All American Burger – American cheese, Ketchup, Mustard, Lettuce, Pickle, Onion (white), and Bacon (optional)
- BUILD A BURGER – Go crazy and create your own!
While the burger bar should be the highlight of your food spread, coordinating side dishes, desserts, drinks, and adult beverages will round out your dinner nicely. And your burger bar will make for an awesome backyard BBQ that everyone will love!