An “I Spy” jar is a great car toy or quiet time activity. Making them was simple, easy, cheap, and provided fun, quality time for the whole family! Plus, “I Spy” jars are great for kids of all ages.
What you’ll need:
- Transparent containers (we used Crystal Light containers)
- Measuring cups
- Gorilla or Super Glue
- Sharpie marker
- Small items to hide in the rice:
- Paper clips
- Googly eyes
- Small doll rods
How to make your I Spy jars:
- Put the rice into a large bowl to avoid spills. Have your child use a measuring cup to scoop up rice into a funnel atop your “jar.”
- Have child fill jar 1/4 of the way full of rice and add 3-4 items in their jar.
- Put lid on and roll/shake to start getting items hidden.
- Repeat adding rice and items to jar two more times until jar is ¾ full.
- Write names on lid with marker (optional). Glue lid onto jar. I used Gorilla glue on four of them. With its expanding properties, I hoped this would keep the lid attached. However, since it expands so much, it dripped down both the outside and inside of the jar. The foam drippings on the outside can easily be removed, but the inside drippings looked a little sloppy. I used Super Glue on the last two containers which resulted in a much cleaner seal. Needless to say, I’d suggest the Super Glue.
You’ll love seeing your kiddos faces light up when they see the awesome activity they just made!