‘I’ is our letter for the August Alphabet Challenge today. Sunday, my preparation day for the ‘I’ agenda, was a very intriguing day. We spent the day at the zoo, absolutely intrigued by nature and the variety of animals we were able to watch and learn about. From feeling an alligator skull and teeth to watching the polar bear leap into the water and gracefully twist and turn as it swam past us, we were fascinated. Upon arriving home, we immersed ourselves in making the I Spy jars described below. Today we grew our minds, our imaginations, we explored, we awakened our senses (amusingly, Dylan told us he could smell alligators!), and we worked on following simple instructions.
I hope you have an intriguing and interesting ‘I’ day!
- Have an ice cream today! We love making our own ice cream sundaes complete with chocolate syrup, caramel, chocolate chips and sprinkles! Try making homemade ice cream (there are several recipes on Pinterest to make ice cream in a bag). Or go out for ice cream! I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!
- Play a game of Pass the Ice. It’s like playing Hot Potato, but with an ice cube!
Books: Any of the “I Spy” books
Coloring Page: Letter I coloring page
- Make your own I Spy jar! This is a great item for road trips and as a quiet time activity. Get a step-by-step tutorial on my post “I Spy Jars: How to make them”
Food Ideas: ice cream, Iceberg lettuce
Song: Itsy-Bitsy Spider
- Long ‘I’ sound: ice cream, icicile, island, iron, ice, ivy
- Short ‘I’ sound: iguana, ignite, interest, igloo, ink, insect, invent, inch
Also, see my Pinterest board on “Letter Activities” for more ideas!
Leave your ideas or post pictures of your family’s alphabet fun in the comment section. AND remember… every time you leave a comment, you will be entered into the August Back-to-School Contest (ABC)! Tuesday, September 3rd, I will draw out one lucky reader to receive a Back-to-School Basket for you and your child to enjoy!
The itsy-bitsy spider
Climbed up the water spout
Down came the rain
And washed the spider out
Out came the sun
And dried up all the rain
And the itsy-bitsy spider
Climbed up the spout again
For more alphabet fun…