It’s ‘L’ day for the August Alphabet Challenge. Your challenge for today is to laugh with your kids. Laughter is so healing. It gets rid of the grumps, it turns gloom into sunshine, it makes life funner (yes, I the English major really said “funner”), and it strengthens relationships. I’m not saying your life should be a comedy show, but just some good ‘I like spending time with you’ happy laughter.
Go ahead… get silly and laugh! I dare you! Ha ha ha ha!
- Laugh with your kids. Make up some silly ways to laugh… giggle quietly, laugh in a deep voice, laugh in a mousey voice, laugh without making any noise. You get the picture! Beware though… laughing is contagious!
- Have a lollipop licking contest! See who can get to the center of the Tootsie Pop first!
- Have a family luau! Wear leis, grass skirts, and fun Hawaiian shirts! Serve pulled pork, salad, and pineapple. Or have a BBQ Hawaiian pizza! And make sure to shake your hips and hula to end your luau!
- Lift things! Kids love to show you how strong they are so have several items set out for them to lift. Gradually make each item heavier. They’ll love the challenge!
Books: “The Lorax” by Dr. Suess; any of the books in the “Llama llama” series
Coloring Page: Letter L coloring page
- Do a leaf painting. First go on a leaf hunt. Collect fallen leaves or pluck a couple green ones. Paint the leaves and press onto construction paper.
- Make a lion mask. You’ll need a paper plate, markers or crayons, yarn or tissue paper, scissors, and glue. Remind your child of the lion’s mane (or show them a picture) and suggest how to make the lion’s man, but then let their imaginations run wild.
Rhyme: Little Bo Peep
Song: The Littlest Worm
- ‘L’ sound: lion, lamb, ladybug, little, leaf, lipstick, leg, lick, llama, left, long, love, lift, lever, level, line, log, lollipop, leopard, lemur, lead, letter, Lego, late, lock, locket, Lord, load, lovely, liter, ladybug, lily, lizard
Also, see my Pinterest board on “Letter Activities” for more ideas!
Remember… every time you leave a comment about more creative ways to have letter fun or when you share your family’s activities, you will be entered into the August Back-to-School Contest (ABC)! Tuesday, September 3rd, I will draw out one lucky reader to receive a Back-to-School Basket for you and your child to enjoy!
I can’t wait to hear your ideas!
Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep
And doesn’t know where to find them
Leave them alone
And they’ll come home
Wagging their tails behind them
The littlest worm you ever saw
Got stuck inside my soda straw
He said to me
(He said to me)
“Don’t take a sip
(“Don’t take a sip)
‘Cause if you do
(‘Cause if you do)
You’ll get real sick.”
(You’ll get real sick.”)
He said to me, “Don’t take a sip,
‘Cause if you do, you’ll get real sick.”
I took a sip
(I took a sip)
And he went down
(And he went down)
Right through my pipe
(Right through my pipe)
He must have drowned
(He must have drowned)
I took a sip and he went down
Right through my pipe, he must have drowned
He was my pal
(He was my pal)
He was my friend
(He was my friend)
There is no more
(There is no more)
This is the end
(This is the end)
He was my pal, he was my friend
There is no more, this is the end.
Now don’t you fret
(Now don’t you fret)
Now don’t you fear
(Now don’t you fear)
That little worm
(That little worm)
Had scuba gear
(Had scuba gear)
Now don’t you fret, now don’t you fear,
That little worm had scuba gear.
For more alphabet fun…