It’s ‘S’ day for our August Alphabet Challenge! Even while I’m writing this, I’m mentally distracted by all the things I want to get accomplished today. Moms, let’s use our ‘S’ day to remind us to SLOW. DOWN. Spend the day having fun with your children. Forget about all the hustle & bustle, all the time commitments and society’s expectations. Forget about anything that could be a distraction from your kids. Live in this moment with them. Let them know you have time for them. Cherish this particular time in your life. It’s okay to slow down and just be.
- Have some sandbox fun! Kids LOVE playing in the sand! Don’t have a sandbox or need something indoors? Put sand in a Rubbermaid storage box. Give the kids construction equipment, small shovels & sand toys, spoons, and containers to dig and fill with sand. Or, try hiding things in the sand for them to find!
- Play soccer! Let your child run and play and get all that energy out!
- Swing and slide! Go to the playground and get movin’ with your kids!
- Make sidewalk chalk art. Get on the ground and draw with your child. Our oldest likes to make buildings all down the sidewalk. Go with their imagination and let the ground be your canvas!
- Have a slumber party. Let your kids get out their sleeping bags and have a family slumber party!
- Go swimming! While the weather is still warm, sunscreen up and soak up the last few days of summer poolside!
Books: “The Sneetches and Other Stories” by Dr. Suess; “I Stink!” by Kate & Jim McMullan
Coloring Page: Letter S coloring page
- Sand paint. Have your child paint a picture with glue. Then let them sift sand over the paper (while the glue is still wet). Shake off extra sand.
- Make shape trains. Cut rectangles, squares, triangles, and circles out of colored construction paper. Have your child glue the shapes to a piece of paper. This is great for creativity and problem solving as they have to figure out how to put the shapes together to make a train.
- Make spiders! You’ll need 4 black pipe cleaners and a medium-size rock. Paint the rock black. After the rock is dry, center the pipe cleaner on the top of the rock and hold with thumb. Wrap each end of the pipe cleaner around the rock one time. You now have 2 legs. Do this with all 4 pipe cleaners so you have 8 legs.
- Make paper plate sunflowers. Paint a paper plate yellow. Glue (or tape) yellow construction paper petal all around the plate. Glue or draw sunflower seeds in the middle. Attach a green construction paper stem to complete your sunflower!
Food: Salami, salmon, salsa, salt, saltine crackers, sausage, sauerkraut, scrambled eggs, sesame seeds, shortcake, shrimp, shish kabob, sloppy joes, snickerdoodles, snow peas, soup, spaghetti, Spam, Spanish rice, spare ribs, Special K cereal, spinach, squash, starfruit, stew, stir fry, strawberries, strawberry jam, strawberry shortcake, string cheese, submarine sandwich, sugar, sunflower seeds, sweet potatoes, swiss cheese, syrup
Rhyme: Star Light, Star Bright
Song: You Are My Sunshine
- ‘S’ sound: snack, spider, sport, smart, snooze, snore, snort, snot, soon, stew, stone, stand, steer, stray, staple, strap, start, straw, strawberry, serve, service, sheep, sleepy, sleigh, sheet, sun, sunshine, sort, simple, save, shirt, shorts, socks, shoes, storm, straight, steep, step, snip, swift, swat, sand, snail, snake, star, school bus, ship, shark, seahorse, snow
Also, see my Pinterest board on “Letter Activities” for more ideas!
Remember… every time you leave a comment about more creative ways to have letter fun or when you share your family’s activities, you will be entered into the August Back-to-School Contest (ABC)! Tuesday, September 3rd, I will draw out one lucky reader to receive a Back-to-School Basket for you and your child to enjoy!
Star light, star bright,
First star I see tonight,
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have the wish I wish tonight.
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are grey
You never know, dear, how much I love you
Please don’t take my sunshine away