Today is a short one with the letter ‘X’ and I have to say I’m a little glad. The August Alphabet Challenge, has been a great experience for us all, but having a short day is a nice break. We are going to treat today as an ‘xtra day and combine it with on a couple letters we are behind on. Whatever you do, I hope you have an exciting day with your kids!
- Hide a bag of “treasure” (fruit snacks, juice boxes, craft supplies for X craft, etc.) in the yard. Make a map using landmarks in your yard. Put a big ‘X’ where the bag of treasure is hiding and have your child search for where ‘X’ marks the spot.
- Play an xylophone. Have music time. Take turns playing the drum, guitar, song flute, tambourine, piano, harmonica, and xylophone. Sing silly songs as you rock out.
- Play tic-tac-toe with your child. Let him or her be the ‘X’.
Books: With no luck finding an ‘X’ book, it’s once again time to review the alphabet with your favorite book of ABCs. (Remember, kids LOVE repetition. So even if you read this book last week, do it again! It’s how kids learn.)
Coloring Page: Letter X coloring page
- Do an X-ray craft! This one I found on Pinterest from Inspired Montessori is great! Can’t wait to do it with my boys!
- ‘X’ sound (at the beginning): xylophone, x-ray
- ‘X’ sound (in the middle): saxophone, exit, exist, axe, axle, Texas, Mexico
- ‘X’ sound (at the end): fox, box, ox, mix, six, flex, tax, mailbox
Also, see my Pinterest board on “Letter Activities” for more ideas!
Only two letters left!!! Don’t forget to leave your comments on more creative ways to have letter fun or to share your family’s letter activities. Every comment you leave will get you an entry into the August Back-to-School Contest (ABC)! Tuesday, September 3rd, 2013, I will draw out one lucky reader to receive a Back-to-School Basket for you and your child to enjoy!
I can’t wait to hear your ideas!