The August Alphabet Challenge is nearing a close with our letter of the day being ‘Y’. With only having one more letter left, I am torn. Part of me wants to yell “Yippee” and do fist pumps in the air both in celebration for having done the challenge and for the fact it is almost completed. Part of me is yawning over the late nights and little sleep in preparing these letter agendas. And yet, part of me still yearns for these days to continue. I have loved this calm, quality time with my boys!
So wherever you are as this challenge comes to a close, just say “Yes” to learning and having fun with your kids… and cherish every. single. moment of it!
- Play with a yo-yo. My boys got yo-yos at a birthday party a couple months ago and they love them!
- Go out for frozen yogurt! It is as fun as ice cream and healthier too! Make it a family date night!
- Have a yodeling contest! Yes, I’m serious! Just cut loose and be silly with the kids on this one. You’ll all end up giggling!
Books: “Dr. Suess’s Sleep Book” by Dr. Seuss
Coloring Page: Letter Y coloring page
- Make yarn wrapped letters. Draw a letter on a thick piece of cardboard. Cut out the letter (make sure this is done by an adult). Have your child wrap the letter in yarn.
- Handprint yak! Try out this super simple and cute Pinterest idea — a handprint yak! All you need is construction paper & brown paint!
Food: Yams, yeast, yellow cake, yellow rice, yellow squash, yogurt, yolk
Song: Yankee Doodle
- ‘Y’ sound: yellow, yo-yo, yacht, yak, yam, yolk, yarn, yawn, yoga, yelp, yeah, yes, yodel, yell, yippee, yahoo, yesterday, young, yikes, you, yours, yield, yum, yummy, yuck, yard, yardwork, yardstick
Also, see my Pinterest board on “Letter Activities” for more ideas!
Remember… every time you leave a comment about more creative ways to have letter fun or when you share your family’s activities, you will be entered into the August Back-to-School Contest (ABC)! Tuesday, September 3rd, I will draw out one lucky reader to receive a Back-to-School Basket for you and your child to enjoy!
Yankee Doodle went to town
Riding on a pony
He stuck a feather in his hat
And called it macaroni.
Yankee Doodle, keep it up
Yankee Doodle dandy
Mind the music and the step
And with the girls be handy.