Nothing says fall like pumpkins. Which is probably why everything from our home decor to the sweet aromas around us are teeming with pumpkins. And why our lattes and soup and cookies are now brimming with this tasty orange fruit (yes, it’s really a fruit… I Googled it). So jumping on the pumpkin bandwagon, our Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins will satisfy both your sweet tooth and your desire for pumpkin. The only question here is, are these muffins a breakfast food or dessert? My answer… BOTH!!!
Truth be told, a girlfriend of mine actually passed on this recipe but in cookie form. It was delicious for sure, but left me wanting more. Okay honestly, I just wanted more cookies, but didn’t want to seem piggish going back for a second, third, fouth helping. I also wanted more fluff and warm butter… you know, comfort food. So after some experimenting and lots of sampling, perfect little Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins emerged. And I couldn’t be more delighted!
Some things you should know about these muffins…
- They are incredibly addicting and are known to mysteriously disappear. It’s kind like this… a muffin for kid #1, a muffin for me. A muffin for kid #2, a muffin for me. A muffin for kid #3, a muffin for me. And then OOPS! Where on earth did all those muffins go?
- This recipe makes LOTS of little muffins. By lots I mean 4 1/2 dozen which you’d think would be a good solution to the previous point, but then you realize you’re the one who ate them all. See where I’m going. So… make them for work or your mom’s group, take them to a playdate or share half of them with your neighbors. Otherwise you’ll be shaking your fist at the scale and cursing my blog!
- Filling the muffin cups all the way to the top is a good thing. Otherwise these muffins don’t rise. They are dense little things and if you don’t fill ’em all the way up, you’ll think it’s a dud recipe. I had a batch of duds. Don’t worry, it’s not just you. They’re still good, but this is the one time I’ll say that having a muffin top is a good thing!
So here it is… DRUMROLL PLEASE… the super awesome, delicious, I-can’t-believe-I-ate-them-all recipe you’re drooling for…
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Combine flour, oats, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Add pumpkin.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Filled greased mini muffin cups to the top. Bake at 350° for 13-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 1/2 dozen.
So friends, with your cheeks stuffed full of muffins chipmunk style, tell me… don’t ya just love ’em?