For chicken that’s kickin’ with flavor, you’ve gotta try this Southwest Grilled Chicken with Avocado Pico de Gallo! A little zest with a hearty southwest flair in a meal that is healthy and super simple to prepare… that’s what I’m talkin’ about!
Grilling season… oh, how I love it! In the past, our patio wasn’t set up in a way that made it possible to grill with snow on the ground. But this past year we just pulled it right on up to the patio door so we can grill year round! So whether it’s the first time or 30th time you’ve grilled this year, this recipe brings a refreshing spice to the table in a fresh and healthy way!
Got picky eaters? I love the fact that this recipe is just adding to an Avocado Pico de Gallo to grilled chicken. So, leave it off the picky eater’s plate and you have successfully fed everyone at the table with just one entree. I love meals like this!
Southwest Grilled Chicken with Avocado Pico de Gallo
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Taco seasoning
- 1 large avocado
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato seeded and chopped
- Cilantro chopped fresh (optional)
- Lim juice if possible, use fresh lime juice
- Lightly sprinkle the raw chicken with taco seasoning before putting on grill. Arrange thinner edges away from the heat to prevent burning while the thicker portions cook. Turn at least four times to minimize flare-ups. Remember to season the second side of the chicken while on the grill. Grill breasts over medium heat for approximately 10-12, cutlets for 8-10 minutes, or until the juices run clear.
- While chicken is grilling, prepare the pico de gallo.
- Place corn in skillet. Turn/stir until kernels are “grilled”/lightly browned on both sides. Prepare tomatoes and onions. Stir grilled corn, tomatoes, onions, and cilantro (if desired) in a bowl.
- Prepare avocado. Half, pit, and peel avocado. Cut into small or medium-sized cubes. Place in a separate bowl. Squeeze/pour lime juice over the avocado. This keeps it from browning and gives a hint of lime to the pico.
- Carefully mix the avocado into the corn, tomato, and onion mixture. Stir gently so as not to smash the avocado.
- Plate the cooked chicken and spoon the avocado pico de gallo over the top. Serve.
This dish pairs well with black bean refried beans and tortilla chips. Even my children asked for more of the “salad” as we called the avocado pico de gallo! Colorful, flavorful, healthy, and delicious! Enjoy!