Honeymooning in Maui. Doesn’t it just sound lovely? I crave the tropical paradise my hubby and I experienced there 12 long years ago. I loved everything about the island. The hang loose attitude. Eating breakfast in the hotel beach chairs and looking out at the sea and the volcanic mountain that greeted us with its large presence. The sun. The surf. The surfers camped out at dawn waiting for the thrill ride of the day. And experiencing the thrill for myself as I goofy-footedly rode in 3 waves. The island food… it was all incredible.
Our second trip to the islands with 2 toddlers was amazing too. Yoga on the beach, aqua-cizing with the senior citizens, climbing up a volcanic crater with 20 pounds of leg kicking, squirming child on my back. The old ladies at the fruit market along the road who urged my boys, “Here honey, grandma give you some sugar cane. Try it. It’s sweet.” Nothing but memories.
Anything tropical speaks to my soul. I think I may be part “island”. So you can only imagine how giddy a Tropical Sunrise Smoothie makes me. Of course, I’d prefer to enjoy it with the sand between my toes and the warm sun on my face. But my patio works too. Just lay my head back, close my eyes and bask in the sun, pretend the thumping sound of my boys kicking a soccer ball is the sound of waves crashing against the shore… hey, I have an active imagination. Work with me here.
I’m sure we all have a place like that, right? That we drift off to in daydreams. That we relive through tastes and smells.
For me tropical equals fresh, delicious, refreshing. So blending a little tropical fruit with a little juice into a smoothie is a rejuvenating little escape to the islands if only by my taste buds.
And… like all recipes I love, it’s simple and quick. It’s perfect for breakfast, snack, a mid-afternoon pick-me-up, a luau mocktail (or add a little clear adult-only beverage) and make it a great frozen cocktail. It would be a perfect companion for my famous Luau Boats meal! Oh the fun with this smoothie is endless! Plus, it’s a great smoothie option for our dairy-free friends!
- 3-4 cups mixed frozen strawberries, mango, pineapple, banana
- 1-2 cups organic apple juice
- Add all ingredients together in a blender.
- Mix at highest speed for thirty seconds.
- Check the consistency of the smoothie. If too thick, add more juice and blend 60 more seconds until thoroughly blended. Texture should be thick but thin enough to drink through a straw.
- Serve cold and add whipped cream and fresh strawberry or chunk of pineapple for extra sweetness and garnish.
- You could also make this with fresh fruit. Just add 1 cup crushed ice to the ingredients.
Aloha and happy eating, my friends!